Friday, October 03, 2014

Sad news

On Thursday I found out that the guy who built the supports for my original displaywall and my 2nd displaywall, had passed away. He was one of the maintenance workers, who made all sorts of shelves, trolleys, wooden spacers and built many of our displaywalls. He was known as a grumpy Frenchman, because he mostly had a scowl on his face, but he was a sweet man with a twinkle in his eye and a wonky sense of humour.  I'm not sure how many years he worked with us, but I was always happy with his work.  He left us 5 months ago because he had ALS and he was no longer able to do much.  He's been exposed at a funeral home this week-end in Mascouche. He will be missed, but not forgotten. Little parts of him are all over my department.

Top 4 monitors have mounts that go on an angle, since the top 4 were hard to see from my chair

Above is my first displaywall, after it was re-adjusted to handle all Dell panels. Originally I had 8 Philips and 8 Acers. The Philips were larger because they had built in speakers so my wall was slightly lopsided. It was well built, because it was easy for the current maintenance guy to adjust it so I could put all Dell panels. The technology still needs some tweaking. It was hellish getting this working originally. I went through so many cables.

Original wall layout with mismatched monitors, and before I got different mounts for the top 4

 In case you're a curious geek, I'm driving 12 displays using 2  Graphics cards, and using only 2 display cables per card, though each card has 6 inputs.   I'm running these Dell U2413's in MST [Daisy chain]. The system is a Gigabyte GA-F2A85X-UP4, with 16 Gb of ram. 

4 sets of 3 Dell U2413 in MST [Daisy chain] driven by 2 graphics cards
It takes getting used to, having monitors that have inputs and outputs.  I've labelled all the DP outs with a big OUT, to avoid some confusion. Or to avoid my team returning LCDs to me telling me they don't work in displayport, and the only reason they aren't working is that they are trying to get an "in" signal out of an "out" port. It's happened a few times. I've also spent an hour debugging why my LCD wasn't working and I was using the wrong port on the first one but not on the 2nd one. Yep. True story.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for leaving a comment!