Thursday, August 21, 2014

Girls and Mistresses and Masters of Sex.

I've been enjoying the series Girls this past year. I likened it to being like watching a train wreck, but I'm hopelessly hooked. Though it's not a girly show like Army Wives, I still really enjoy it.

I was reading about the fact Girls was created by the woman who plays the lead character, Lena Dunham. That fact alone makes me find the show far more interesting. It's cool to have a show about young women created by a young woman!

One of the reviews I read had to do with how her characters are too homogeneous and in a city like NYC, you have more cultural diversity.  Thing is sure, you may find groups of friends that are highly culturally or racially diverse, but the reality is, not everyone has culturally diverse friendships.  Her choice of a mix of white girls is actually very plausible!

Montreal is also a very culturally diverse city. However at the moment my female friends are all white, and from the "west" so to speak. I have one friend who has British ancestry, one friend that has a mix of French Canadian and Scottish Canadian and the other female friend is a mix of Greek and French Canadian. All three a white and in a show like girls would get me the same comments  as Lena Dunham!  I used to have an Asian friend that lived in Montreal but we lost touch.

I started watching the show Mistresses last week. It's an American series based on a UK series. This one didn't flop from the get go like "Coupling".  This show definitely has culturally diverse friends. You've got the black friend, the Asian friend and the 2 white  half-sisters. Surprised there's no Latina in this mix, since the show is supposed to be set in LA!

The show mistresses has interesting plots and so far I'm very sucked in

The last new show I've been watching is "Masters of Sex", a playful name for a show loosely  based on the lives of Masters and Johnson's, the ones who did the first definitive study on human sexuality. I really enjoy the show though find Dr Masters a major prick!  I wonder if he was like that in real life, or if it makes for better television.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for leaving a comment!