Friday, May 09, 2014

Strawberry extract

Until the mid to late 1990's I could count on Dr Fowlers Wild Strawberry Extract to take care of my tummy aches as well as random bouts of diarrhea.

Sadly in the mid to late 1990's Dr Fowlers stopped making their wild strawberry extract, and I remember asking my Pharmacy to look into it. They now make this pink chemical product that I would not touch with a 10 foot pole.

Meanwhile Jean Coutu and Pharmaprix had either a generic Strawberry Extract or a home brand. Recently I found that neither store is carrying it anymore. I know I'm not the only one looking for it as when I asked the Pharmacist at Jean-Coutu, she told me she had 4 other people looking for some as well. It appears Jean-Coutu discontinued the product. I dunno about Pharmaprix.

Doing some Googling apparently I'm not hte only one who is devastated by the fact it's become increasingly hard to find Strawberry extract. Some of the threads in various forums that I found about it, are all about how sad people are to see this product go. For some people with IBS it was a god send. I know that it tends to resolve 90% of my tummy issues, and has zero side effects with me.

Through more Googling, I found recently that Rougier has a strawberry extract that is available for sale on Well.ca   I will be ordered numerous bottles to cover my trips this summer.

I went to both Healthtree and Tau health food stores and neither carry Strawberry extract despite having lots of herbal medicinal products. The woman at Healthtree asked me if I had heard about it on dr Oz.because I was the 5th person to ask for it in so many days. 

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:54 pm

    I too was looking for Fowlers Wild Strawberry extract, but had no luck. My grandson was hospitalized this winter with severe flu, and lost 20 % of his little body weight. Since I have many wild strawberries in my yard, I have decided to make my own. From what I have read so far, the leaves are the parts of the plants best for diarrhea. I am going to grind them up boil them and make a concentrated tea or extract. Wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck! Let me know how it goes. You can buy the generic strawberry extract made by Rougier at Walmart. It's nowhere near as good as the old Dr Fowlers, but it has saved my tummy from severe diarrhea!

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for leaving a comment!