Thursday, March 20, 2014

Server 2012 R2 and some integrated intel network adapters.

This is the 2nd or 3rd system in which I cannot install drivers for Intel onboard network adapters in Server 2012 R2.

The first system I encountered this problem with, had an Intel reference board known as a "TunnelMountain". After trying to find drivers and failing, I just connected a USB network adapter and did the tests I needed to do. I assumed it was because it was an Intel prototype board.
The Intel 18.8 CD could not find my network adapters.

Yesterday I was setting up an ASUS P8Z77-V Premium motherboard. I usually install the Servers on all my test systems because while most people won't run Server OS on regular machines, we have plenty of clients who run Server OS in weird scenarios and I have to see if the software & drivers I test behave in Server OSes. I had downloaded all the drivers from the ASUS site, including LAN drivers for Windows 8.1 on which Server 2012R2 is based.  This system has an integrated 82579V & an 82583V network card. But in Server 2012R2, no intel network driver installs, and just says it has no Intel network card in the system.

My google searches brought me to download the Intel 18.8 CD for Intel network adapters, and that is the last one I'm trying. It failed.  Earlier I had tried PROWINX64.EXE with the same results. I had also tried all the drivers gotten from the ASUS site for that motherboard.
In Windows 8.1 64 bits - the 2 adapters had in-the-box drivers
The question that remains currently unanswered is that in the systems where I have encountered this problem I was in UEFI BIOS mode. I wonder if there is a relevance? If I have the time, I will install on this system, Server 2012R2 in non-UEFI BIOS mode and see if the Intel adapters are found in this OS.

So when using this OS the tester will have to use a USB network adapter. I've also just discovered that Server 2012 also has the same issue on this system.  I would think it's the model of the Intel adapter in that system because I've setup over 40 computers, maybe 20 of which in UEFI mode with both Server 2012 and 2012 R2 and this is only the 2nd or 3rd system that has this issue. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for leaving a comment!