Friday, March 21, 2014

Be nice and have someone bitch you out.

Since our administrative assistant was unceremoniously made redundant a few years ago, I ended up being one of the few people who gets to order stationary for all of engineering and software quality assurance. I order it from our internal store, get someone to pick it up and make it available in the cabinet that everyone has access.

I do this purely to be nice and to have access to stationary. I had realized years ago, that if I didn't get the stationary for the entire team, they all stole my stationary.  So because this is not part of my job description but something I do to be helpful, I do not check the stationary cabinet that often. On average I seem to make orders every 3 months.

Normally I make an order following the procedures. Originally I just had to fill our internal requisitions but in the past 2-3 years some brilliant person decided that we also needed to fill out an electronic version in a PDF [which only has 10 entries] and then submit it along with the paper requisitions. Usually the order is ready within 24hours.   Well the past 2 or 3 times the guy I sent to pick up the order, has passed on the message that the guy who prepares the order thinks my orders are too big and I should do it more often. I mean if it was such a big inconvenience I would not think it would be ready within 24 hours when I generally give them 1 week to fill the order.

Of course having someone complain makes me feel like maybe I could do it, like NEVER and everyone could just get their own fucking stationary.  Then instead of doing one motherfucking large order 4 times a year, he'd get little orders 3 times a day. I'm sure that would work so much better for him.

People are assholes. Being nice is often just not worth it. Makes people think you're a welcome mat.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for leaving a comment!