Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Cabin fever

Canoe waiting for someone to buy it
You  can tell people are having cabin fever as suddenly I'm getting tons of responses about my Genuine Indian Brand canoe that I have put for sale on Kijiji.  It's been on sale there since October I think. I put it up too late in the season for anyone to pick it up even for hunting.

Last used in May 2013 at Les Hautes Gorges de la riviere Malbaie
I love this canoe. It reminded me of the first canoes I ever used  in my teens when I went canoe-camping down the Riviere du Diable in the Laurentians. We went down some rapids and also portaged. The most fun though was going down rapids with just a life jacket. The thrill. I did it 2 or 3 times.

The biggest issue I have with my canoe is that it's too heavy for me to portage or even to put on my Grand Vitara alone. I'm strong for my size [Barely 5ft, 110lbs] but this is just more then I can handle.  I would guess it's about 70 lbs.  So it's a great canoe if you aren't going to portage it.      It's also a solid canoe, that can take a beating. In the time I've had it, I've never had a leak, never had to fix it. 

Before it was painted green, 3 people in it.
It's also the best canoe you can use if you're a beginner. It's forgiving and extremely stable in the water.  We've never come close to having it tip and we've used it in bad weather on a large lake with high winds.  We've used it both empty, and filled with gear, and I don't travel light, and it does really well. I should also mention that you sit on the seats of this canoe, you don't kneel. Something that was awesome as I have bursitis in my right knee and kneeling for extended periods is really not recommended.

Someone enquired if they could use it with 2 children under age 5 and 2 adults. I don't see why not. They can sit either one in front of the middle bar, one in back or both side by side.  Or alternatively the bigger child near the middle bar, and the smaller child in the front  tip.


1 comment:

  1. would have bought it if i had a safe place to put it.
    give me a holla! if you want to get it out this summer

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for leaving a comment!