Thursday, June 13, 2013

Day 5: We drive around Cape Breton Highlands National Park

Don't think I've ever been this annoyed and scared in a while. It rain and it was so windy that the mother of all tarps, the big tarp to cover our big tent, is destroyed. Also our tent has 3 broken frame posts. Rather all 3 poles have at least 1 broken piece that I taped together with some duck tape so that I could finish the trip with this tent.
Our tent was in the location of the white camper when it was destroyed


Because I'm highly paranoid I spent half the night worried the wind would lift our tent and ditch us in the middle of the gulf of St Lawrence. In the end we survived if not a bit traumatized with the experience.  Note to self , when camping somewhere really windy, use a low tent and lots and lots of pickets.

We went to the information center at the park at Cheticamp and the lady allowed us to change campsites, to one in the woods, far from the Ocean and the gale force winds for no extrsa fee. Pity though. The view at Corney brooke was spectacular, but with the force of the wind today our tent would just keep on breaking, it just didn't make sense to stay there. Now we are stuck inside a forest where there will be lots of bugs.


Neither one of us slept so we were pretty crabby. Typical maritime weather of storms. Everything that could go wrong did go did last night. So at least we had a bit of luck today. We were able to change campsites for no extra fee. Showers are free here and it was nice and hot. That was good since I was so fried and frazzle, from not sleeping and fearing hte tent would become airborn. At least it was warm in my sleeping bag!

Carnivorous flower Purple pitcher plant.

But I'm used to it raining whenever I camp. I always try to bring sufficient rain gear. Including my rain boots, raincoat, rainpants and jacket. Between all that I managed to say somewhat warm and dry.

I messaged my eldest daughter but did not get an answer. I do not get any reception in the Park except at the information centers where there is wifi.  She messaged me back later to say that while she could get leave she was still duty ready so could not leave Halifax.

We went to visit the bog and saw a Moose on the way back.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for leaving a comment!