Monday, July 16, 2012

Syria - let's hope it's the final stretch

I haven't written about Syria in weeks. I haven't shown up to events in weeks. It's not that I've lost interest, I just find it harder and harder to hear about more deaths. You'd think I'd be somewhat desensitized. I've stopped looking at gruesome video's for months now. After watching them for months I could not see the dead and the maimed anymore. I don't need to watch the videos or see the images. I just read about the number of deaths in that day and I see the images and the videos still running in my head. Once you've seen this type of violence it's hard to unsee it.  

I so feel for the children in Syria witnessing things that should never happen that even adults cannot deal with and yet they are stuck in the middle. They see all the carnage, they see what happens to those who are against the army and the Assad government. 

The red cross has started calling what's going on in Syria a civil war.  Lately there has been high end defections from the regime. There's also this excellent opinion piece by Maher Arar

I keep hoping that tomorrow I'm going to hear that Bashar Al Assad stepped down and that the Syrian people will be able to choose their leader, but until then I will keep lighting candles for the martyrs and keep praying the opposition finally depose of Assad.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for leaving a comment!