Monday, July 23, 2012

Since Techie/Nerdy has become cool, everyone wants to be a techie

Some people fail at being geek savvy miserably. Like the monitor repair company, that despite being a company that repairs monitors, they did not have 1 displayport card at their disposal to verify the repairs they make on displayport monitors.  Thankfully the monitors I got back from this outfit actually worked in displayport. The part they replaced affected all ports, and once it was replaced they all worked.

Today one of my employes went to the IT department to get a 6ft displayport cable, he needed one for one of his displayport monitors. Some of the 6ft cable we have have flaky latches and the plastic just breaks into our hands during simple use.  So he needed a new cable. The IT person who was on duty offered him many HDMI cables, but in the end could not find one displayport cable. His solution was to use another port on his monitor.  This might be a fine and dandy answer if he were talking to an employee that used 1 PC and used it to do work. This is not a fine answer to a person who is currently testing graphic cards with displayport connectors and yes we have to test connectivity and it's hard to do without the specific cable. 

I mean he could have offered to see if there was cables on order, and also if there were not to put some on order. Also he could offer to contact my employee when the said cable came in. All that could have been helpful, at least we'd have an ETA for the cable. As it stands, I'm going to have to order 6ft displayport cables in a rush because  well someone screwed up and I'm going to end up with new LCDs with no  displayport cables in the days that follow. 

I don't know if this guy is lazy or just a really bad tech, but he's often less then helpful. If I can help it I usually deal with the other 2 guys that work in the department. One of them I haven't seen in a while so I'm wondering if he's on vacation, sick leave, or if he left.  The other I know is off this week, he was there last week and he's my first choice as person to speak to when I need help, although the other guy can help too. He'd know which cables I wanted without needing a map. He'd tell me if when he'd get some in stock if he didn't have any in stock. 

Yeah nerdy might be hotter, but it's hotter if you actually know what you're talking about.  I know so many people who think they are so hot because they know buzzwords. Like wow.  I don't necessarily retain all the buzzwords, but I know how things work and I want to vomit when I hear a bunch of guys around me all try to one up each other talking PC and most of them have no clue what they are talking about, but they think they do because they talk the talk! 

I was nerdy, geeky and a redhead way before it became cool. Not because it was cool but because it is a reflection of who I really am.  Just saying...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for leaving a comment!