Friday, July 27, 2012

Camping and canoing at Mastigouche

Riviere du loup in Mastigouche at sunset
I left work at noon on Friday and by 2:30 pm we had loaded the truck, attached the canoe and were on our way. Since it was construction holiday I figured we'd get a lot of traffic so I decided to take the road less travelled. We took the 440 to the 25, and then at the end of the 25, went towards Joliette, and from there made our way to Saint-Alexis-des-Monts.  It took a while and we got there for 6pm. It probably didn't help we stopped 30 minutes at the Canadian Tire in Joliette to get propane. 

Campsite 10 at Dickerman in Mastigouche
In Saint-Alexis-des-Monts there was confusing road signs. I figured I'd use google maps on my phone BUT I had no reception. However there was enough of a map and the GPS location that I was able to find the right road and make it to the Acceuil des pins.  I had hoped to camp at Lac Sorcier, but there's only like 12 spots there, and being construction holiday they were all taken or at least reserved. We ended up camping at a campground called Dickerman which was about 20km from Lac Sorcier along la Riviere du loup, which we couldn't even  go in at the level we were at with our canoe because of six falls. 


Red Squirrel eating toilet paper that had sausage grease on it
We lucked out at Dickerman. We took a spot that only had one spot close to it. Spots 10 and 11 were paired but far bigger then the spot we had a Sugarloaf. We also lucked out that although the spot 11 was reserved for the week-end, no one showed up so we were isolated from everyone else at our spot, and had reasonable amounts of piece and quiet

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for leaving a comment!