Saturday, April 14, 2012

My arm doesn't seem to get numb anymore!

For over a year now I've had pains and numbness in my left arm. It was baffling. I'd be at work and my left arm would fall asleep. I'd have to move and shake it to remove the tingling sensation in my little finger.  I'd also feel pain if I moved it a certain way or ended in certain positions.  It came and went for the better part of a year and I could not figure out what the source of it was. 

Eventually talking with friends I came to suspect it was the way I was driving my truck. In fact I realized the pain in my left arm seemed to have shown up just a bit after I got my Grand Vitara. So I started looking at the way I was driving. 

Was driving to Entrelacs in my Grand Vitara when this was taken
When I got the truck I was so thrilled I could raise the seat way up so I didn't have to put the steering down and end up not seeing my speed like on my Protege. The height of seat in regards to the steering was apparently not optimal and I have a tendency to drive mostly just with my left arm.  Side effect of learning how to drive on a stick shift!  The way I held my steering just driving to work was the root cause of the soreness, stiffness, pain and numbness in my left arm, from the shoulder to the end of the fingers. 

Once I realized it might be related to the truck, I readjusted the seat just a little bit and  I watch how I hold my steering. I try not to hold it with just one hand in trickier situations.  Anyways a month later I noticed that my arm hasn't been numb and no longer had pains.  It really doesn't take much sometimes to fix a problem, but sometimes finding the source of the problem is more difficult. 

All this to say I still love my Grand Vitara. I was so upset at first when I realized it might be driving my truck that was hurting my arm.  But I'm glad it was resolvable. Another situation where Location Location Location makes all the difference!!!!

1 comment:

  1. On a similar note, my left elbow is all dry and scaly and often hurts because of the way I sit at my computer chair for the entire day. I lean on it most of the time. Realized it when I left for QC last summer and suddenly my elbow healed. Now I try to change how I sit but it's not as efficient for use of mouse + keyboard etc. So when I was offered a new computer chair for my birthday, I got one that has padding on the arms! :D

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for leaving a comment!