Monday, December 12, 2011

Flash Mob at Fairview Mall - and being kicked out of Fairview Mall.

Between 15 to 20 Occupiers/99% turned out at Fairview Mall near the bus terminus to participate in a silent flash Mob in honour of the international day for human rights. We had people show up from other neighbourhoods either because they liked our idea or because their neighbourhood didn't have enough people for an action. Either way we had a nice group of people. The majority of us taped money over our mouths. Some had Guy Fawkes masks.

We had printed up a flyer to hand out to people to sensitize them to our cause and make them aware that buying from large corporations is not the way to go, but better off buying from small local vendors and encourage those from the 99% instead. Our flyer included a list of small merchants around the West island.

We arrived around 10:30 and started our action close to 11am. We walked from the entrance near the bus terminus and took the escalator to the 2nd floor where we proceeded to hand out flyers and walk quietly. We didn't make it very far before the first security person spotted us and called for backup. By the time we made it into the food court, we were asked to leave. So we went downstairs and slowly proceeded back to the door to go to the bus terminus as we were going to leave by bus. 

Once we re-grouped outside the bus terminus Fairview security followed us outside and told us we had to leave.  Something they had no right to do. We told them that the bus terminus was STM property but they argued that no in fact it was leased from their property so their property and we had to leave and go on the sidewalk, or we had to take off our yellow felt circles on our clothes.  I can wear a yellow circle with a happy face, but I can't wear just a yellow circle?!?!?! I can wear a poppy but not a plain yellow felt circle? I can wear a pin with a Rolling Stones tongue logo on my coat, but I can't wear a yellow felt circle?

Really? Last I checked the charter of rights says I can freely assemble in public places peacefully.   The mall security even called the police. Some stayed behind and talked to both the STM security and the SPVM and the Fairview Mall security had no right to tell us to leave the bus terminus. This was confirmed by both STM and SPVM.

As my husband, my friend and I left to our vehicle one mall security followed us and was insisting to take our camera to delete the footage taken inside the mall, that we were not allowed to take video or photo's inside the mall. He went on to say it was common knowledge.  I have never seen a sign at Fairview that bans camera's.  I'm not sure how this is common knowledge. As it goes our cameras are our private property and he has no rights to it. 

I'm sure the main reason he wanted to erase our footage was to keep himself out of hot water. When someone has nothing to hide then there is no problems with photo's or video.

Fairview Mall has many vendors and let me tell you something, they will not be seeing my hard earned money again. I think the hardest hit store will be the Hush Puppies store.  Sorry Hush puppies salesman, you're nice and get my shoe needs and all, but you're in a location that doesn't allow people to shop with yellow felt circles.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for leaving a comment!