Thursday, September 01, 2011

My 2011 vacation bad luck continues!

Life's ironies this summer, every trip, vacation and visitor that was planned seemed to get cancelled. My friend in Baltimore had work screw up her first vacation plans on Canada day week-end, and a nasty fall that broke her wrist screw up her 2nd vacation plans on Labour day week-end. My friend in Lebanon originally underestimated the slowness of the Canada bureaucracy and then in the end did not get a VISA, something that has really pissed me off. 

After I asked my eldest daughter if she wanted to go Camping she had said yes, but I spent the next 2 weeks anticipating her cancelling our trip. Generally my kids are very dependable but anything can happen. Thankfully that trip did end up happening. 

This week of vacation I figured I'd spent some time camping and then spend some time in Ottawa visiting a friend. Turns out that said friend had to postpone my trip as he was having dental surgery today.  I can't seem to get a break everything I plan just falls apart. 

My therapist last year suggested that maybe I just remembered negative events, and really my luck was probably average. It gave me something to think about. But after lots of reflection and even comments from third parties, this is not the case. I do have more bad luck then average.  The purchaser that orders the equipment for me, says that if an order is going to get screwed up it's most likely MINE. 

If my team gets 20 pieces of hardware, the one I chose for myself is most likely the only defective one. The HQA guy I work  with has helped reduce those odds by testing all new hardware given to my team.  But I still often get the bad hardware.  Not just paranoia, the truth. It's like I can spot something broken or damaged. It's a talent but probably not generally the best one to have.

The downside of everything is that I have till Monday off and nothing planned  to do. Which sucks if I'd known I'd have planned a small camping trip. Apparently spending time in the woods really recharges my batteries. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for leaving a comment!