Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Accompanying friend to Dentist

I've been seeing my dentist since I was 15 years old. This means I've been seeing him for more then 30 years. He's the best dentist I've ever had. I've referred to him as the Cadillac of dentists. He's in his early 70's and still kicking. 

One of my gf's is terrified of dentists. In the twenty years I've known her I've never known her to see a dentist. It makes sense, you see quacks that hurt you, and you really don't want to submit yourself back to this type of abuse. If you were young when it happened, it leaves you traumatized. I was lucky I ended up with my AWESOME dentist at 15 so I've learned to no longer be afraid. 

Between fear, budget concerns and in the past 10 years, concerns over her heart's well-being has prevented her from seeing a dentist.  However she recently read that there are local anaesthetics that exist now that would not be counter-indicated with the medications she takes to monitor her heart rate and we have dental insurance at work. 

I called and reminded the receptionist that when I was 16 I took my grandpa to see the dentist and I had to hold his hand the entire time since he was also terrified. I asked if my dentist could see my friend, that she really needs someone who is exceptional at his job to get through her dental needs.  She had a cancellation today so I'm accompanying my friend to the dentist today at 3pm.  I'm hoping after the first appointment where he checks out the work that needs to be done, that she will feel comfortable with him. I'm sure dentists will never be her favourite, but with his good care I hope she'll at least be OK with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for leaving a comment!