Monday, August 01, 2011

The butcher keeps pounding with no relief

Sadly Bashar and his ilk have not stopped pounding Hama and other restive towns in Syria on this first day of Ramadan. I've wanted to blog something this morning, but all I can think about is that 142 people were killed by the Syrian Government forces yesterday and that is Extremely disturbing. 

Finally today the Harper Government is condemning the Syrian Government. What it took 142 deaths in one day? What 100 deaths isn't enough? Fact that more then 1600 died so far just a fluke? Or does Harper believe the Syrian line of "Armed groups". Yeah the armed group is the Syrian Regime.

Bracelet picked up in Homs at The Church of the Girdle
I never wear bracelets to work as with the work I do, bracelets end up broken or I get hurt caught in a PC. But today I will wear the bracelet I picked up in Homs at The Church of the Lady of the Girdle. I generally don't pick up religious items, but the blue bracelet with blue cross reminded me a bit of a blue medal of the virgin Mary my grandma gave to me as a child which I still miss.  I will wear the bracelet in solidarity with the people of Homs and the Syrian people in general. 

I have an aversion to worshipping in Churches since my childhood, however when we went downtown Saturday for the rally, I wanted to stop at the Marie-Reine du Monde basilica, to light a candle for all those who died in Syria so far. I also wanted to sit in front of the beautiful wooden Statue of the Virgin in silent meditation. Sadly when we arrived downtown it was 5pm, one of the time for mass, and since I did not want to sit through mass, we did not go in. We figured we'd go after the restaurant but it was locked. I guess they have had issues with revellers going nuts on Saturday nights, so they lock the doors. Will have to go back in the near future to light that candle.  

Edit: Harper's statement in full from government website. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for leaving a comment!