Sunday, July 03, 2011

The women of the Middle East

I blogged a week or two ago about the women in Dubai, and in general the UAE, to highlight their position in Emirate society.  I stumbled upon an interesting article by Naomi Wolf about women in the Middle East. One of the point she highlights is that once women change in a society, everything changes, and the women in the Middle East are going through a radical change. She points out how the women in Egypt and Tunisia weren't just taking part in the protests but helping lead them.  That part of the reason they were so peaceful was because of the women and the children that were also with them. 

I suppose this is why in Libya Gadaffi's encouraged his armies to use rape as a "weapon of war". Attack half of the population by violating them and figure it will break down the rest of the society. 

I've also read that in Syria women were being raped by the various "security forces". Of the extent of this problem won't be fully grasped until the uprising is over. 

However I've also read of a movement in Syria where young men are saying that they will marry women who have been raped, sight unseen.  I hope this movement spreads throughout Syria and also to Libya.  I'm happy there are men who realize that being raped is never a woman's fault, and always her attackers fault, and she shouldn't have to carry the shame of being spoiled for others.  It's hard enough to deal with having been forcefully violated, but to be cast aside by society and sometimes your family due to the shame is inconceivable to me. 

I have been raped and what has helped me deal with the rape is talking about it. Telling other women that rape doesn't only happen to others, it can happen to any woman. Rape isn't about what you did, it's about men who want control. I have never allowed anyone to see me as less worthy a human being because I was raped. 

On the topic of rape, the "SlutWalks" that started in Toronto have spread all over the world, with one in London this month.  Some of the criticism of these walks includes that women are now defining themselves in male terms.  I have issues with that. I don't dress for men, I dress for myself. I like wearing clothes I find attractive on myself.  My mom used to tell me as a young woman to not wear shapeless clothing. That I had an attractive body and I should wear clothes that makes me look good.  Not once was it mentioned I was dressing for men.   My mom's point was that if you feel good about who you are you should also be projecting a positive image with your clothing. That it was all one package.

Besides it wasn't a woman who told a bunch of York university students to "Not dress like a slut". It was a male police officer. I wonder what this male police officer would have to say to the Libyan and Syrian women who have been raped in the Arab Spring, never mind those in Somalia, Afghanistan and other troubled countries?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for leaving a comment!