Wednesday, June 15, 2011

What is wrong with people?

I'm in a mood this morning. Between being woken up at 4:30 AM by either my allergies, the birds [I had all the windows opened], or Ziva, the only cat in the room with me, or perhaps a combo of all of the above, and some of the things I've been reading the past few days I've been wondering what is wrong with people?

I guess there is something to be said for being gullible. It also leaves me a certain open mindedness where I don't first come to conclusions that people are inherently bad. I'd like to think there are more good people in the world then bad people. I'd like to think that most of us start off with good intentions, though sometimes misguided. I like to believe that the world I live in isn't just full of people just there to make me miserable or try to take advantage of me.  Yeah I have a touch of paranoia and sometimes I have a persecution complex. Sure people who make me miserable and who try to take advantage of me, generally don't give a crap about me, it's all about them, and what happens to me is just the fallout.

That's neither here or there. I wonder about people who think being less then honest is the right way to go and then are surprised when people are upset at the deception. I wonder about people who condemn everyone else from their perceived moral superiority and yet if you were to look more closely at them or their family you'd realize they really shouldn't be spewing this kind of vitriol with what's in their own closet.

One of the articles that set me off this morning is about a 9 year old girl, who stabbed her dad because he was threatening her mom with lethal force. What's even sadder is that it's the 2nd time in 2 years she's had to do this.   I'm sad thinking about the girl, who's had to use this kind of force to rescue her mom. It should be her mom protecting her and not the other way around.  But then I read the comments. Is it because she's black? Is it because of the neighbourhood that people assume things?

I dunno.  I hate to break it to all these morally superior people, but poor black women aren't the only ones who keep bad men around their children. The more money one has the more he can hide the fact that he mistreats his family.  A lot of the people commenting wanted to remove the girl from her mothers custody saying that if she can't protect her, she shouldn't be her guardian. I wonder how many of those people have been in foster homes? I also wonder how many of them have had to live with a family member with an addiction problem, be it to drugs, alcohol, gambling?

I mean my ex is a good example of someone who's toxic. At least to me he's toxic. But he wasn't dangerous to my daughters and I. Not in a physical way.  But currently all three of us don't want to spend any time with him because his engaging drunk personality is so toxic that none of us want the risk of having to deal  with it. Other then the fact for some reason he still treats my daughters like they were 5 & 6 or something like that. The age they were when he first met them. Never mind that he asks them what they are up to, so politely they explain their university program, and then he mocks them.

Because he's had a great career in nothing  and hasn't keep a job for more then a year or two, when he's actually been employed in the past 20 years. As a high school graduate he feels justified in mocking my daughters who are both doing an undergraduate program, one at McGill, one at Concordia.  I might not be sure the program they chose was the right choice, but I was never sure anything I did in my life was the right choice. However the role of a parent is supporting your adult children choices as much as possible.  I mean if your mom, the one who is supposed to give you unconditional love isn't supportive, then who can you expect to be?

Sadly a lot of the stupid comments I've been reading stem from ignorance. People who have little life experience to base themselves on. Bad people come from all walks of life and they exist in every race, religion, gender and sexual orientation. Most didn't start off that way, they were hurt and abused themselves either purposefully or just by well meaning misguided people. Others it seems are just wired wrong and are bad. I suspect there aren't that many of those as of the other kind around. 

It always really bugs me when people say things about a visible minority and  then you realize they have never even crossed paths with these people. But they have heard 4rth hand about this horrible story. It also bugs me when people from first world countries treat people from 2nd and 3rd world countries like disobedient children

Anyways.. enough ranting. After saying all that.. what's wrong with people? After all they are humans, and fundamentally as humans we are all flawed. I suppose I should be preaching for forgiveness and acceptance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for leaving a comment!