Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Too much time to think

I can't do much other then lie or sit and even sitting isn't really recommended when my back is like this, so I have way too much time to read and think. This morning I was reading in The Gazette that Canada is 2nd to only Australia with how people rank their quality of life.

We don't chose where were are born, but to me I could never see myself moving to the USA for a job. Sure I would get a better salary, and perhaps it might be easier to find clothes my size because there is just more variety, but in terms of open-mindedness and quality of life, few places beat Canada in general and Montreal in particular. I find we're some of the most open-minded people. Not to say that everyone is friendly and/or open-minded but overall we are a very tolerant society.

A percentage of the interviews I do to fill student positions are with new arrivals. They come to Canada and go to University either in their field or in a new field, and often they will choose COOP programs with internships to get the Canadian job experience.  I've learned through interviews that our engineering programs some of the best in the world. Students who have studied engineering abroad and then in Canada tell me that our Canadian universities prepare students for the job market far better then their counter-parts in other countries. 

I hope next year we rank #1 on OECD.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for leaving a comment!