Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Pity me plagued with a pesky pit problem.

 For the past couple of months I've been trying to find alternatives to using  antiperspirant.  The one I've been using for years had begun to give me intense itching and rashes. Going without on week-ends and putting lotion would help with the itch but I seemed to stink even more.  I tried various brands of antiperspirants including all natural ones without alum. Either it gave me itching, a rash or just made me stink to high heaven.

The past week I've scoured the internet to search for solutions and sometimes the most simple solutions work the best. One suggestion I read was to not use anything but water to wash armpits. That seems so counter intuitive.  Although I don't use much soap as a rule to being with, since I have highly sensitive skin and am prone to eczema.  I mean I was only washing  armpits and  pubic/butt area with soap and the rest just with water.   [I know I know, TMI] I do use Noxema on my face because water alone dries the skin out too much.

But it's not like I'm using much soap. I suppose it makes sense just to wash the armpits with water?  So I tried it today. I bathed at 7 this morning. I brought a facecloth to work and washed with water at noon. Again at 2:30pm because we went for a walk around the building and it was pretty hot out today and  not since, and I don't stink. I have a very faint sweat smell if your nose is in my armpit.. Compared to the funk that was coming out of those pits with antiperspirant before. [And really no one's nose should be that close to my armpit. I like personal space]

I still have to experiment.  I don't like the sticky sensation of my pits - maybe this is where perhaps unscented talc powder might be useful? The other thing is I was wearing a sleeveless dress, which means my pits were not constrained by fabric.  I'm not sure how fabrics will do with this wash only with water approach?

I'll keep experimenting and telling those close to me to tell me if I become aromatic. I've been working on this problem for most of 2011 and this is the most positive experience I've had so far. I can certainly live with washing my pits with water 4-6 times a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for leaving a comment!