Saturday, May 21, 2011

It's the end of the world as we know it....

and I feel fine, as REM would say in their song turned anthem. 

Whenever there is talk of the end of the world I am reminded of Tintin, the bande dessinee by Herge. Most of his comic books have somewhere a little old bearded man holding a sign "La fin du monde est proche". The end of the world is near!

When reading this in my youth I didn't understand why someone would walk around with a sign, that the end of the world was near. Well apparently it's not a new concept and in my adult life, several times, some religious nut or another has decided that the end of the world was coming. Of course we're still here talking about it.  I mean apparently the fear of the end of the world is more common when we turn centuries or even millennium.

So tonight at 6pm I'll probably be driving between Ottawa and Montreal, and I can't help but wonder what I should be expecting. With all the rain we have had, I'd be more likely to accept the sight of an Ark then The Rapture.

Another pressing question, what does one wear for the end of the world? I mean should you be in your Sunday best, or business casual, and will there be a quiz?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for leaving a comment!