Saturday, April 09, 2011

Late Spring, later blooms.

It's been cold and not much of a spring this year, but today felt like spring. At some point it was warm enough that what I have been wearing inside was warm enough outside to work in the garden.

Despite having snow in the back where the primroses grow, I have several patches of giant snowdrops in front and in back. I also have a couple of crocus and as well the arabis which is starting to bloom.

 
I checked and cleaned around the catnip patch and the plant is doing fine. I have 4 pickets and chicken coop wire around the catnip plant otherwise it wouldn't have a chance of growing. This must be the 5th time I plant catnip, and usually by the next day some cat has come along and eaten the entire plant. Now I figure the main plant is protected by chicken coop wire, and if the plant goes beyond it's enclosure whatever does is for the cats who find it. I'm hoping to have a patch big enough eventually that I can remove the wire and no longer worry about the welfare of the plant.

I'm seeing tons of tulip leaves just coming up. I'm hoping this will be my best tulip year :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for leaving a comment!