Friday, April 29, 2011

Asshole at work

I blogged a few weeks back about having a Diamond  Radeon HD 5870 - Eyefinity 6 card.  It had been running in a Dell T7500, because it was one of the few machines that could handle both the power hungry requirements and the size requirements. About 3-4 weeks ago I needed the Dell T7500 for other use so I took the Eyefinity 6 out of the system and left it on the employee's workbench. It was there for a couple of  weeks. I know this for a fact because I remember showing one of our stagieres the 6 mini displayport connectors on the card.

Wednesday when I came back from Easter break, the Antec 902 case I purchased to fit 2 Eyefinity's on my Gigabyte EX58-Extreme motherboard had come in. My hardware co-worker put my mobo in the Antec 902 case and at that point I went to get the Eyefnity 6 to test how well it would seat. The card on the desk which I thought was the Eyefinity was another large Radeon but with 2 DVI connectors. So whoever took it had the presence of mind to leave a decoy so we would not notice it had gone.

After sending an email to about 60 co-workers, talking to our tech support department and a few other people I made a report to security. Especially since there are 2 camera's not so far from that workbench, so I figure we could probably see who took the card.

Today one of my employees asked me if the Eyefinity had been found. I said no and happened to be next to that workbench from where it disappeared and sitting in the back on top of dozens of cables was the Eyefinity.  It was definitely not there even yesterday. Heck I suspect someone brought it back at lunch time, because I know most of us were gone from that area at that time.

What's fishy is that normally I label all my equipment with fluorescent pink stickers which say my department and has my phone extension. The label has been peeled off. These labels are hard to peel off, so there is abundant trace of the sticker having been removed .

I informed security the card was returned. I hope they find who brought it back via the cameras. 

The thing that baffles me is why one would risk their job over a $600 graphics card?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for leaving a comment!