Friday, April 01, 2011

April fools

I remember when I was a little girl, pre-school age, I used to cut out dozens and dozens of fish of different sizes made out of paper, color them brightly and put them in my grandpa's work boots. So when he'd get up at 4:00  AM on April 1st, he'd find his boots full of fish. In French we call the day "Poison d'avril"  Aprils' fish day!

The funny part was, it would piss off my grandpa, who was grumpy regardless, but obviously it made my grandma giggle, because she'd be the one who would remind me each year when April 1st was. Because as a  preschooler one does not have a concept of dates that much. 

Of course another alternative is while I'm inspired making dozens of colorful paper fishies grandma could get on with her housework. So she was willing to put up with 10 minutes of grandpa bitching before he went off to work, for the 3 hours of peace she was getting encouraging me in an art project. Or heck, maybe she liked both the peace and giggling over the joke. My grandma had very mischievous steel-gray eyes.  I've never run into anyone with gray eyes like hers in my life since either.

1 comment:

  1. Sammies5:33 am

    I want fishies in my boots :X that sounds cute lol.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for leaving a comment!