Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Dentist time

You know, it's funny most people don't like to go to the dentist. I'm about the same, despite fact I really like my dentist. I first saw him when I was 15 years old. He was the first dentist I saw in my life who wasn't a quack. He didn't take one look at my mouth and tell my mom that most of my teeth would have to be pulled out because the enamel was chipped or because I had massive cavities.  He's also the only dentist who does not leave me in agony or with fevers due to unresolved problems.

As it goes I have "sugar teeth". I eat sugar my teeth rot.  My dentist advised me of this when I was fairly young and while I still get the odd cavity every couple of years, mostly they are from damage that happened to my teeth when I had braces or around that time frame. For instance, old fillings get damaged with time and need redone.

I've not been lucky when they passed out teeth. As it goes adults have 28 teeth, 32 if they haven't had their wisdom teeth pulled out.  Well I never had wisdom teeth. A blessing really after seeing others having to get them pulled out.  I also never got all my adult teeth. I've never had more then 23 teeth. But due to this good dentist, I'm nearly 50 and I still have the same 23 original teeth that my mom spent so many years investing in.  She would be so proud. She ended up with dentures in her upper mouth fairly young and one of her biggest accomplishments she felt were my teeth.

So all that to say I have a dentist appointment today. Although I really don't want to go, I know the twice yearly checkups and cleanings keep my teeth in good condition, and I'm honoring all the efforts my mom put in my teeth.  So I can keep smiling a big toothy grin. Say CHEESE!

I should add my dentist is now 70 years old and I really don't look forward to the day he retires.  His receptionist who's been there easily 20-25 years tells me patients of his come from as far as Toronto for appointments. He's that good and well liked. Everyone in my family ended going to see him. Including my hubby, who loves him too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for leaving a comment!