Monday, March 07, 2011

Common sense isn't so common when it snows....

We've probably gotten 25-30cm's [10-12"] of snow in the past 2 days accompanied with intense winds this morning. It's not that much but if left on your vehicle it is enough to completely blind the guy behind you  when it leaves your car/truck as you pick up speed.

I thought that the law that brought about mandatory winter tires between December 15th and March 15th also had a rule regarding clearing your vehicle of snow.  Unfortunately I haven't seen any of these new rules being enforced. I wonder how many people don't use winter tires? I mean they should have random checkpoints like they do for drinking and driving or seat belts.

There was a police supervisor on the corner of de Salaberry & Sources this morning, it seemed to keep traffic from blocking the intersection. With all the cars going by that are still full of snow he could have pulled over dozens  and given them tickets.

I'm five foot nothing and I have a telescopic windshield cleaning brush so I can clear even the roof of my Grand Vitara. If I didn't the snow would hit my windshield and I'd be driving blind. I even hate it when the little bits left over land on the back windshield. It's something I used to stop on side of road to clear when I still drove the Protege. I love the fact the Grand Vitara has a windshield wiper on the back window. I can keep it clear and clean and see out the window. With the Protege, I'd stop at the gas station several times a week just to clean the rear windshield in winter.

I wish I'd had my camera with me when I drove down St Regis this morning.  The trees on both sides of the road heavy with snow,  the road was all white and it was hard to see where the road stopped and the sky began, the lone person walking all in black, contrasting with everything being white, since it was snowing hard at that point. Turns out the person was one of my interns, who also happens to be dark skinned. Would have made a nice contrast.  I should learn to keep a camera with me at all times. Someone suggested that my cell phone has a camera. This is true, but taking a photo with a camera on a 4 year old cell phone compared to a SLR camera... well... for artistic photos, the cell phone will not do.

1 comment:

  1. Sammies1:51 pm

    I've virtually given up on clearing the snow from the back window on the Protoge - even when I clear it off the top of the car it mysteriously re accumulates lol

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for leaving a comment!