Saturday, February 05, 2011

Elizabethan collar anyone?

Jethro had a bit of a cold about a year ago and he had runny nose and eyes. He rubbed his eye so much it got infected. The only way to prevent himself from rubbing his eye was to put an Elizabethan collar on him. I spent a week treating his eye while he wore the collar. First I'd wash it with a solution of baby's shampoo and water, then I'd put a drop of Polysporin antibiotic drops for eye/ears, and of course make sure to soak off any run off from his eye.  He was incredibly sweet tempered for a collared cat with a sore eye. He'd come when I'd call him to treat his eye, and just let me handle him. As if he knew I was doing it for his own good.


Jethro playing with a toy despite having an Elizabethan collar.

I find bristol board works best to make a collar. It's supple and light weight enough. You can make it to the size of cat that needs it. Start with a bigger collar and trim it down to the perfect fit. I use a plate to make a circle.  One I cut out head form I staple both ends after putting it around cats neck.

Taking a break from playing.

I ended up putting a collar on Ziva after she was fixed. I remember waking up the morning after her surgery to noises that sounded like someone plucking on a guitar. It was Ziva pulling on her stitches. I knew with her determination the best thing I could do to let her heal properly was to collar her. So I did. She was pissed off at me the first day, but I kept the collar on her until she was healed enough she couldn't hurt herself anymore. Probably 8 days.

I'm not enjoying this contraption you put on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for leaving a comment!