Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Nlite is great, but slip-streaming can be a pain

I couldn't slipstream without Nlite, it's a great tool, however slip-streaming is a PITA.

I wanted to make my XPSP3 and XP64SP2 to handle AHCI mode and some RAID and SAS controllers so that I can install them more easily on newer machines. I included Intel and AMD AHCI drivers, as well as drivers from Asus, Gigabyte, Dell, HP and Lenovo for latest machines.

Unfortunately first time I slip-streamed drivers into XP64, I ended up with a 32 bit driver by mistake so CD didn't work. I had to start over from scratch and make sure to not include offending driver. The 2nd time it worked fine.

I had same problem with the XPSP3, originally just to test out slip-streaming I had only included the drivers I needed for the Intel DX58SO motherboard.  So I had to re-do that one and the 2nd time around I had a bad driver  and had to redo it again as well.  I had a co-worker test it out and he says it works. 

Now I need to tackle both Server 2003 standard edition and Server 2003 R2 in both 32 & 64 bits. This will be undoubtedly just as fun as the XP's. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for leaving a comment!