Friday, January 21, 2011

Gotta love nlite to slip-stream drivers into a Windows [tm] ISO

So today I slip-streamed all the SAS, RAID and AHCI drivers that I had on my downloads PC onto my XPSP3 ISO using nlite . I  then tried it out on the Intel DX58SO motherboard  that was giving me such a hard time the past couple of days and it installed  XPSP3 without any hiccups. It was awesome. Nlite rocks, it's intuitive and the average techie should be able to slip-stream whatever he wants with it quite easily. It was the first time I used it to add drivers, previously I had used it to add a service pack into my XP ISO.

I'm now kicking myself for not having done it sooner.  It's just that since we may have 100 systems in my group and rarely do we have more then 2 of the same machine, if we even have 2. And often even if we have 2, like the HP Z400, they are different revision [One can take only 4 sticks of RAM, the newer one can take 6 sticks of RAM]. So in my mind making a CD that covers all options always means it's out of date because I might get a new machine tomorrow, that has controllers that won't be supported by the version I just made.

Monday I will revise my system list to make an XPSP3 bootable CD that handles the SATA drivers for all current machines we have in my team. Then I'll work on XP 64 bits, and Server 2003 32 & 64 bits. 

Should make setting up systems in ACHI mode easier for legacy OS',  I won't have to argue with a USB floppy that may or may not work on that USB port on a particular motherboard. I won't have to wonder if the reason I'm seeing that "Inacessible boot device" blue screen is because it's not seeing the hard drive or because of the SATA DVD-ROM.  I won't have to use the USB enclosure with IDE CD-ROM.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for leaving a comment!