Saturday, January 29, 2011

Did someone say B-A-C-O-N?

I read recently this article about "Why Bacon is a gateway to meat for Vegetarians"

It had me laughing as I've been a vegetarian for close to 20 years. I've never been a full vegetarian in the sense that I will still eat shrimp and other sea food about twice a year, and fish, especially salmon maybe once a month. 

What can I say about bacon? The smell of bacon often gives me nausea. When my eldest daughter lived with me for 2 years, one of the stranger rules I imposed on her was "No cooking of bacon between midnight and 7 am".  I made that rule after being woken up by the smell of bacon for the nth time. This despite sleeping on the top floor and the kitchen being on the main floor.  At the time she liked making herself bacon around 3am and it would always wake me up, it would make me nauseous and it would prevent me from going back to sleep. 

Still on the topic of bacon, they make a variety that is called bacon with maple syrup. I also had a ban on cooking it in my house when I am present. The smell of it cooking increases my nausea like you would not believe. 

So I think if I end up eating meat again one day it won't been bacon that will have lured me back. It's most likely to be chicken or lamb or possibly some exotic game meat. But definitely not bacon. Though probably the most appealing form of pork fat has to be "les oreilles de crisse" found at sugaring off parties in Quebec.

I know chicken is most likely. I used to take a way home that passed in front of a KFC and I'd crave chicken almost daily. Lamb I've been craving for years, and I even put a little bit in my mouth to taste how my Irish stew [which people say rocks] felt. Of course I did not swallow, and made a cat very happy with a little piece of half chewed meat. As for game meat, it's less likely that game animals are filled with hormones and antibiotics and is more likely meat that I would not have issues with. 

Whenever I hear bacon I think of 2 things. Some commercial for dog treats where the dog keeps thinking it's BACON!!!! and "That 70's show" when Eric Forman would pronounce it ba-con. I can hear a little Eric repeating ba-con ba-con ba-con over and over....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for leaving a comment!