Sunday, January 09, 2011

Attention Deficit HyperActive Disorder

Sometime early summer 2010 my therapist suggested I might have ADHD/ADD. He had me fill a form, which I filled out so well with my coping mechanisms that I pretty much told him I didn't have ADHD. Except that a few months later, in early August, it finally made sense. 

It explains everything about myself that I could not understand or explain before. Most people assume ADD/ADHD is only found in 6-12 year old boys that disrupt their classrooms by being too hyper. Most people assume that it is outgrown and adults don't have it. 

The first article I found useful on the subject describes both me and my daughters. I'm more a chatty-kathy and tomboy, so is my eldest, my youngest is more tomboy daydreamer.  I looked for books that were written by women with ADD/ADHD. I figured they would most likely understand what it's like to be female and have ADHD. 

The two books I've found helpful so far are "You mean I'm not Lazy, Stupid or Crazy?" by Kate Kelly and Peggy Ramundo and Women with ADD by Sari Solden.  You can tell they were written by people with ADD/ADHD which some people criticize but with me it's like a coming home. I feel understood. Yes it's chaotic but after almost 50 years of living in my own chaos it just feels normal to me.


I did find Driven to distraction, Answers to distraction and Delivered to distraction by Dr Hallowell would be useful books, but I haven't progressed enough in my journey to benefit from them yet.

As far as my diagnosis goes, I've got ADHD - combined type. Meaning I'm both hyper and spacey :)  I've always know I'm hyper. I just used to see myself as driven. 

Having ADHD isn't a bad thing. It just means my brain works differently then someone who does not have it.  I also need to have realistic expectations of things I can do and things I cannot do easily. And learn to ask for help on things I struggle with.

I've decided for the moment that since I've managed nearly 50 years without the benefit of stimulant drugs, I was going to keep going that way.  I am experimenting with a gluten and casein free diet, which I read could be helpful for people with ADHD/ADD, and autism. I'm also mostly vegetarian, and do not each any refined flour, sugars, have no caffeine  or alcohol in my diet.   I'm hoping that a good diet will keep my mind the least distracted. 

There are many reasons I don't want to be medicated. 1) I've finally come to like the fact I'm impulsive, unpredictable and sometimes downright fearless - and I like that in others 2) I've found a good place where I can do art and be creative 3) I've taken all the stimulants out of my life because they all made me more aggressive be it sugar, or even caffeine or nicotine.  4) I am also OCD and struggle with addictions, it's too easy to get addicted. I don't need medications that I would get addicted to. 



2 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:51 am

    check out ADD Crusher on facebook

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the great suggestion. I'll be going there regularly.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for leaving a comment!