Friday, January 28, 2011

Another Canadian store bought by a US giant

So I read 220 Zellers had their lease bought by the giant retailer Target. That kinda sucks since Zellers in my mind has always been the Canadian WalMart equivalent. It use to mean that money spent at Zellers went back into Canadian pockets, not so much when it becomes a Target. 

Second problem with Zellers converting to Target stores, is that Target does not want to keep Zellers Employees. I can think of my cleaning lady, a late 50's something woman, who's been working at least 10 years re-stocking shelves at night at Zellers. She's barely making ends meet, hence why she cleans my house.  If they lay her off from Zellers to rehire her at minimum wave to work for Target, she won't even be able to make ends meet anymore.

I was reading that according to Quebec laws Target should not be allowed to fire a 20 year veteran employee of Zellers to rehire them at minimum wage. But it remains to see how they will deal with that. I bet you suddenly all the employees they had to keep will be "BAD" and fired for 1001 reasons so they can hire cheap labour. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for leaving a comment!