Sunday, September 13, 2009

We leave going towards Riviere du Loup....

First day of trip and we left Montreal around 2:30pm. First we gassed up the car and then we took the Mercier Bridge. I took the 132 until it became the 30, then back to 132. Somewhere between Yamaska and Nicolet on the 132, there was a 4 way intersection. I had yellow light, proceed with caution, so I slowed down from 90 to about 75, especially since the intersection was partially blind to me because there was a large pick-up truck or SUV in the right late waiting to merge onto route 255, going to the 20.


Well just as I got to the intersection I see a silver 2007/2008 Sebring pop in front of me. I pressed on the brakes like I’ve never done before. I thought I’d avoided the car but unfortunately I hit the bumper. Great way to start a vacation. I pulled over and got out of the car. Turned out to be grandma & grandpa coming back from spending the day in Quebec City and deciding they had enough of the 20, and wanting to take the Ferry at Sorel. Grandma shouldn’t have tried to cross the intersection. She had a red flashing light and a stop sign. If I didn’t see her because of the large vehicle she didn’t see me for the same reason and she went ahead anyways. Grandma was 80 and apparently has been driving since she’s 25 and never had an accident. Well this time she caused one. Some good Samaritan couple in a large pickup truck called the police, and they hung out until police showed up.


No one was hurt, but a few seconds difference and we might all be dead. I didn’t stop enough to miss the other car, but enough so that everyone survives. The old lady had the nerve to say I was coming pretty darn fast to the police. The office told her nicely that it was a 90km/hr road and that’s pretty fast. Then later after doing the report he told her she was lucky he was feeling generous because he could give her a citation for not stopping at a stop. She started to argue the point with him. He said she had a stop and she should not have proceeded until she had a clear view of intersection and no one was coming. Obviously she had stopped and went without checking for traffic.


When we first started to cross the street, someone said to us “yeah this car sped past us, we’re not surprised something happened to them”. The good Samaritans also said it was the old lady’s fault, and so did the people whose house we were in front.


I realized afterwards that the good Samaritans, probably stopped, because they lost good friends just a year ago at that intersection. More so they called the cops because they want a light at this intersection. Every complaint of accident adds fuel to that fire.


We had dinner in Levis at Normandin, and stopped at Motel bord de la mer in St-Valiers. Waterfront motel and we have a room with a view on the St-Lawrence. It will be breathtaking in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for leaving a comment!